Sunday, November 8, 2009

Shoe Box Cake - CAKES FOR A CURE

I was asked to donate a cake for the OSC (Officers' Spouses' Club) on Ft Bragg for their "Cakes for a Cure" Fundraiser. The theme was Girls Night Out, and the colors were pink, of course, and brown. I knew immediately I wanted to make a shoe box and a gum paste shoe. Neither of which, I had done before. Here's the end result...

My friend, Brandy made the gum paste flowers! It was the first ones she's ever done, and I think they turned out FABULOUS! The cake was 100% edible...from the shoe to the tissue paper.
Notice the shoe has the name "Jami" on it. A high school classmate of mine lost her battle with cancer on October 18th. I wasn't able to make it back to Kentucky for her services, so this was my tribute to her. The girl who won the cake read Jami's story that I put with the cake, and was so touched by it that she HAD to have the cake!!

It was the highest grossing cake at the auction, going for $70. That's probably about what I would charge for it anyway...minus the cake board detail and gum paste flowers.

I left the auction with 1 cake order and found another one in my email box the next day. It was a great night.

Tanya Biank, the author of Army Wives, was there to sign her book and be the guest speaker. She was full of grace, intelligence, and poise. It was an honor to meet her, since I'm a huge fan of the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment